Maine Bluefin Tuna
Starting at $140.00 ($35.00 / lb)
Easily among the most coveted fish in the sea, the giant Bluefin Tuna is iconic in Japanese cuisine. The largest and fattiest of the tuna, it also has the darkest meat once butchered – deep cherry red with the firmness of raw beefsteak.
We purchase only those fish responsibly caught by line and harpoon in our local waters of the Gulf of Maine, harvested under strict quota regulations during the summer months when the fish migrate to our waters.
Every tuna we purchase is graded on-site to confirm its quality rating. We use a sashibo (a Japanese-made sharp metal probe that removes a thin core from the fish) and evaluate the flesh for color, visible fat content, and texture.
Once it passes our inspection, we commit to the purchase of the fish. We butcher our fish at our Portland facility.
- Species: Atlantic Bluefin Tuna (Thunnus thynnus)
- Catch Region: Gulf of Maine
- Seasonality: June-October, subject to catch limits
- Catch Method: Wild, rod and reel (preferred), line and harpoon
- Yield (Fillet Percentage): 78%
- Flavor Profile: Distinctive, full
- Texture Profile: Firm
- Substitute: Swordfish, Yellowfin Tuna, Kampachi, Hamachi
Discover where and how we source our wild fresh seafood click here and check out our blog.
Learn more about the storage of fresh and frozen seafood with our blog article on the subject by clicking here.
Read more about the Maine Bluefin Tuna here.
Available as a four-pound loin cut – skin off and without blood line.